HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What kind of gun to use?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 03:55 PM
MO-KS_hunter
Typical Buck

Default RE: What kind of gun to use?

Either a 10 or 12 gauge will work great (IMO, 10 gauge is kind of an overkill) , first thing you need to do it buy a quality choke and shoot a couple of different kinds of loads in your gun first at 25 yards then at 40 yards.

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

I saw some Winchester High Velocity 3 1/2" turkey loads at Wal-Mart. Are these good?
Again, depends on your gun and choke. Make sure your gun can shoot 3 1/2" shells before you buy them. You really need to pattern your gun with a couple of different loads. Swampcollie has an excellent posting at the top to help you along with this

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

I don't like the limited distance of shotguns so would much prefer to use something like a .22. Anyone use a .22 rifle? Is it enough to take down a turkey? Seems like you could go for head shots and not be picking pellets out of the turkey either. That's another reason I see not to use a shotgun. Or is a shotgun just the best thing to use?
Most states don't allow hunting turkey with a rifle because it's dangerous and somewhat un-sporting. Check your state regulations, where are you hunting?