HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dont be fooled by Hornady FTX bullets.
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 03:56 AM
falcon
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Dont be fooled by Hornady FTX bullets.

Have never used this bullet.i have used the soft nosed 350 grain FPB bullets to good effect on several hogs.

Am very leery of any testing that is done with clay, ballistic gelatin or anything elsethat is not a live animal. Last week end i dug into the clay bank behind the 100 yardtarget at my range.Recovered several 300 grain HornadyXTP Magnum bullets: None of them had expanded. The powder load was 140 grains of Goex 2F Pinnacle.

A friendand his wife have usedmy gun, the 300 grainHornady XTP Magnum bullet and 140 grains of Goex 2F Pinnacle to dispatch7 hogs. Several of those hogs weighed over 200 pounds on the hoof. All of the bullets exited, leavinghuge holes. None of those hogs went over 20 yards after being hit.

BTW: The old SST/Shockwave bullets had a hard plastic nose. The 250 grain SST/Shockwave bullet now has that same soft nose as the other bullets. IMO: This is one of the reasons for that bullets reported failure on game.There are as many as 4 different SST/Shockwave bullets out there;regular andmagnum,each with soft and hard noses.