HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Removing a stuck breech plug.
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 05:44 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Removing a stuck breech plug.

When I get a bad one... I take Kroll Oil and pour it down the barrel and then push a saturated patch down the barrel to told it there. I then put Kroll Oil from the breech side. This does a couple things. Kroll will penetrate about anything, stinks to high heaven, and will kill powder charges.

Then I wrap the area of the barrel where the large locking lug is with some rags or anything to protect it. Go out to the shop, and put the lug part of the rifle in a vice. I then get the breech plug removal tool in place and start to apply as steady a pressure to it as possible. Normally I can get them to move. I have not had one yet that could beat me. Although on the Black Diamond XR I did break their cheap factory breech plug wrench.

The Kroll will penetrate, the vice will give you a great work station, and the pressure will normally break it free. If you tried all of this, you can boil the breech plug. Pour boiling water down the bore and let it escape the breech. This washed fouling out, and heats the plug. Sometimes as it cools, again with the vice thing, you can move them out.