HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Purr with a diaphram call
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 10:10 AM
SouthernStrut56
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Purr with a diaphram call

The first thing you need to do is get the right call. I use the Primos Diamond series calls, they're on sale right now on their website actually. They all are very thin multi-reed calls, so they purr with ease. The brown one, Diamond Yelper, purrs like you wouldn't believe, and will still yelp and cut if you want it to. It's a great call. The easiest way to purr and make it sound good is to flutter your tongue. Do this to start and get the feel for it.......Keep the call in the same spot, making sure you tuck it to the roof of your mouth as tight as it will go with the most perfect fit possible. You might have to trim it a little. Once you got it jammed up there really tight, put a lot of tongue pressure on it, then roll your tongue and push air out as hard and fast as you can until you get a loud rolling purr sound. You don't want it that loud and nasty in the woods of course, so once you've done that, just play with it and tone it down to where it should be in the woods. Make sure to change the pitch up with different tongue pressure to make it sound more realistic. I've always heard people say flutter your throat, how exactly can one flutter their throat without a throat-full of spit? The first thing I did when I tried to flutter my throat is start choking. I think they mean flutter your tongue, it's very simple. You can also flutter your lips but you really can't control the pitch as well as when doing it with your tongue, and when you flutter your lips it sounds the same without a call in your mouth, pretty much. Practice practice practice, and listen to sound clips and try to mimic them. Good luck.