HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Field Dressing Kit - Revised
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 01:08 PM
nchawkeye
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Field Dressing Kit

We kill and clean 40-50 deer a year...I don't usually gut them, just thow them on the 4-wheeler and take them to the barn and hang them on the hoist...I also don't use a saw, except to cut the legs off the shoulders or maybe the hams...I either bone out the meat when I clean them or take my knife and cut down to the ball and socket on the ham and pop it out, no need to cut the pelvis...

I've skinned and boned out many with a little 2 1/2 inch drop point folding Buck that I've had for about 25 years...If I were to buy a knife today for the process, I'd probably go with the Buck Gen 5, it's a 3 inch drop point and is all you need...If you prefer a folder, the Buck Ranger has a 3 inch clip point that will do the job...A non folding knife is just a little easier to clean after the job is done...

btw...I use a mider box saw that you can buy from Lowes for cutting the legs off...

As far as foreign steel, the guys I know that have bought them have been dissapointed...Bucks are made in the US and are very good knives...

If you want a different knife than a Buck, look at Anza knives...They are made from a file and I had a nice 3 inch drop point that I kept on my 4-wheeler until someone else decided they needed it more than I...