HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Traditions 50 Cal
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 04:35 PM
pa257
Fork Horn

Default RE: Traditions 50 Cal

I shot some more today. I went with 75 grains 777 with a 295 gr powerbelt copper HP. Not bad at 25 yards, not great but it seems to like a fouler before grouping better i.e. < 2". I shot one from 50 yards using my hunting rest (a "Y" branch that I found during rifle season) and was 4" left of center and 1" high. I'll take that. I don't think I would take a shot over 50 yards with open sights, my vision just ain't what it used to be. A couple more things about the gun:

1. Broke down very easy and cleaned up just fine with hot soapy water.

2. I found a screw on the sear engagement which was backed all the way out, so I screwed it in and voila: the trigger is lighter. Again, not great but certainly lighter than it was.

Now for a couple of more questions:

1. The powerbelts are easy to seat without a lot of resistance, would a tighter fitting projectile be more accurate? Is that the general rule of thumb?

2. I noticed that I had almost no delay when I primed the pan with less powder. I was also tapping the powder towards the touch hole so that it would dam up against the touch hole. I'm guessing this actually added to the delay?

3. I think cayugad mentioned using windshield washer fluid to clean between shots, can I do that with 777? I happened to find a gallon in my garage, and I thought this would work better than my spit cleaning.