HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - compare browning a bolt to ruger 77 or remington 700
Old 12-24-2008, 06:14 PM
c j
Typical Buck

Default RE: compare browning a bolt to ruger 77 or remington 700

Personally, I prefer Rugers.

1st off, Rugers are built like tanks. Overbuilt, if anything. Not something I'd ever be worried about falling apart or blowing up on me.

I also love the fact that Ruger has a Mauser-style action and controlled round feed. I don't really care much about the degree of bolt lift, so a 60 degree vs a 90 doesn't mean much to me.

I see the 3-position safety on the Rugersas a huge plus, rather than a disadvantage. For me it's not that big of a deal for the safety not to be on the tang.

Ruger also has integral scope mounts, so there's no need for a base. One less thing to pay for, one less thing to have go wrong. Additionally, the rings are included on all new rifles. Good system, IMO.

Accuracy? I, personally, have never had any issues. All of mine have shot better than 1.5" @ 100 yards with factory ammo. Better (sometimes significantly better) depending on the brand, bullet size, etc. I reload and have never had any trouble getting them to group under an inch at 100 yds.

The one common knock against Ruger is the trigger. And I have had a few with 'lawyer' triggers. But that's something a 'smith can fix for less than $50. Or a guy can get an aftermarket trigger for not much more than that. The last few 77 Mk II's I bought new actually came pretty decent right from the factory. One was outstanding; light, crisp, creep-free. Another came new at about 3lbs but still had some creep to it. But again, not a huge problem.