HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - compare browning a bolt to ruger 77 or remington 700
Old 12-21-2008, 10:21 AM
stalkingbear
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: compare browning a bolt to ruger 77 or remington 700

The browning A-bolt is not even in same class as the ruger and remington-it's in a class above them, both in design and features. I've owned remings and rugers but after buying my 1st a-bolt, I've never bought any other rifle (for myself). I have built a bunch of rifles on remington actions,as well as a few rugers. Remember-this is MY opinion ONLY but the browning has several features I love,and the 1s I don't like is easily modified. The a-bolt has 3 locking lugs, that transulates to 60 degree bolt throw. The tang safety that lies directly and naturally under my thumb where I don't have to radically change my hand grip or lose grip alltogether in order to manipulate safety. the removable mag that's concealed by floorplate so that you can change mags in about 2 seconds, it does take a small tad longer to change mags compared to an exposed removable mag but looks much nicer. The trigger is easily adjusted to acchive an crisp,light pull. Another nice thing is they actually come factory glass bedded (although I've seen some I had to rebed properly). lastly, the basic stock design on a-bolts fit me exceptionally well after adding a little more length to length of pull with a thicker recoil pad.

Now the bad-what I do on my own PERSONAL a-bolts ONLY is remove the tiny pin that locks into bolt handle when on safety, as well as removing the rod that goes up directly into bottom of striker when on safe. Remember-this is on MY rifles only. They ARE still as safe as other rifles however because the safety still absolutely locks all sear movement but now I can operate bolt while on safe. That's where the new x-bolt is an improvment by featuring a button you can depress in order to operate bolt while on safe.

In fact, I like a-bolt actions so much, am always on lookout for rifles that look as if they've been drug behind truck so that I may obtain them cheap in order to strip for action.