HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Varmint Rifle and Caliber?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2008, 10:50 AM
HEAD0001
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Varmint Rifle and Caliber?

"Varmint Hunting" is a pretty big category. You really need to describe what type of varmint hunting you are wanting to do. Varmint hunting is my favorite thing to do, however I have a dozen different varmint rifles for different purposes.

Most varmint hunters are hunters who would like to shoot out to 200 or 300 yards. With your budget that would probably be the limit of the equipment you could buy with your dollars.

A 223 makes a very effective varmint rig out to 300 yards, and is probably the least expensive ammo to buy, that will still allow you to have accurate shooting(accurate enough for varmints).

Probably your biggest decision is do you want a lighter walikng varmint rifle. Or a heavy barrel fixed position rifle.

Single shots work fine for fixed position rifles. But for a walking rifle the magazine fed rifle works great. A magazine fed rifle is easy to load and unload, while having your ammo available in an instant.

A fixed power scope will allow you to buy better glass for a cheaper price. however fixed power scopes are acceptable on a fixed position rifle. But not the best for a walking rifle. Target knobs are really not needed for a 223 out to 300 yards. So you do not need to waste your money on the so called "tactical" scope. 12X is more than adequate for shots out to 300 yards, but 14X or 16X would be alright if you find a good deal. Also light transmission is not a big deal since twilight shooting will not be the norm. A good Bushnell 3200 or a scope in that range should do you just fine.

Some shooters will recommend a Savage rifle. And that is not a bad choice. It would not be my choice, but still not a bad choice.

If you have budget constraints then an Encore rifle would be a god choice. you could get a heavy barrel now, and a light barrel later on. But that is just an idea.

There are plenty of good walking rifles available. The Tikka light would make a great walking rifle. Also the CZ would make a great one also.

The Remington SPS Varminter would make a great fixed position rifle. And the are actually cheaper, or priced comparatively to the Savage.

As suggested above the AR platform is a great varmint hunting rig. I have a Rock River Varminter that is scary accurate. However there is 3 major problems with the AR. First they do not fit your price range. Second: I varmint hut in 5 states. the AR is only legal to hunt with in 2 of these states. Third: Some farmers will look at you like you are a terrorist if you pull out an AR to shoot ground hog's with. Their opinion may be wrong. However perception is reality. Tom.