HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - deer slugs in a full choke ????
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 07:22 PM
dadsbuckshot
Spike

Default RE: deer slugs in a full choke ????

ORIGINAL: dog killer

WOW ! i posted this same question on 3 other sites as well and it seems there are a number
of hunters that are very uninformed [MYSELF INCLUDED] about this question. SO,i did some googling and found alot more of the same confusion !

i also found the answer....seems like BRENNEKE designed the rifled slug to be able to shoot through any choke. the ribs on a rifled slug provide space for the slug to compress as it passes through.

heres the link to the site
http://www.brennekeusa.com/web/text/faq.html

by the way....i shot some slugs through it today and no splintered barrel !
good group at 50 yds but they did drop about a foot and spread out some at 100 yds.

I am by far NO expert, but I do love hunting with a shotgun. I love the challenge of getting a old single shot break action and seeing what type of game I can bag with it - anything from squirrel to bear.

With that being said....

I have too successfully shot the brenneke "foster" style slugs from a full choke single shot for years. You can use any foster style slugs - remington, winchester, brenneke - el cheapo. They all shoot good "as to be expected". My longest kill came with a break action stevens 20ga with a full choke and a slug at 74 yards on a doe back in 1997.

SO YES - you can shoot slus out of your gun. Make sure again that it is the foster style as listed above. 50-75 yards is about the max - unless you put a scope on it etc... I live in Georgia and hunt thicketts where a 50 yard shot is about the max and a 15 yard shot is the norm. I usually carry a slug in the gun and some buckshot in my pocket for the closer game.

Have fun with your new slug gun!!!! Post pics when you get at kill with it...