HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - patterning deer
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2003, 11:33 AM
Tazman
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: patterning deer

Angus that sounds like a great piece of property, you did not mention water, nor any thickets or swampland on the property. If there are no thickets/swampy areas and no water, what I would do is first find the thickets near your property and set up a tree stand in an area where you can see the deer coming or going from those areas onto your property. The deer are bedding some where. Water is another place to check out via tree stand preseason, if there is no water on your property, than find the nearest source near your property and set a treestand and watch.

I try to be as non-intrusive as possible preseason scouting until I have a good idea of their patterns. From the amount of oak you mention you will need to locate the bedding and or the water sources because once they have left those areas they have no reason to go in any particular pattern. As other have said funnels are another area to concentrate on, you mention you have food plots, more than likely they will enter and exit the plots at a low point along the field edge, however if there is a spit of woods runs into the food plot they will sometimes use this spit of woods to slide into the field, it lets them check out more of the field without being seen.

Deer in areas with lots of food are hard to pattern, I found through some heavy scouting in one place I hunt that there were three groups of doe that came through the area, but due to tons of food everywhere and an abundant supply of water through out that they did not have a " daily" pattern, instead they had a 3-4 day pattern, the bucks once the rut was on had no pattern except where the does went. One group of three doe came through this one are ever 2-3 days, there was another group of 5 doe that came through every three to 4 days and another group of 7 that came along about every 4 days, the bucks patterns were determined by the receptive doe.