HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shooting Muzzle loader $$
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 01:04 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shooting Muzzle loader $$

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Ok I think I have paralysis by analysis. I'd like a bulk bullet that has good accuracy that I can shoot all year around at paper and hunt with it. What fits that bill? Only for deer sized game.

Also when picking a bulk bullet that does not come mated with a sabot how do you choose a sabot?

Also you guys are telling me that it's measured by volume. I've never shot a muzzleloader without using pellets. Does that mean I'm going to need a volumetric measuring tool? How accurate is that method? What about settling?

Is there an advantage of Goex FFFg over 777 loose powder? I guess if they are close I'd go with 777 powder.

I think I need this slightly dummied up to get me started.

Thanks
Tom

Good quality bulk bullets that you can afford and hunt with... Hornady XTP and Speer Gold Dot. I personally like the .44 caliber .430 diameter 300 grain XTP but you get more shots out of the 250 grain or 240 grain which would also be good deer bullets IF YOUR RIFLE LIKES THEM. The Speer Gold Dot I so far have not decided which bullet I like best. I have shot a lot of them but just have not made up my mind.

To match the sabot, look at the caliber and diameter of the bullet you are buying. A .44 caliber .430 needs a sabot made for a .44 caliber .430 diameter bullet. Normally they are green in color, but that is not always true. I like the Harvester Crushed Rib sabots. In the .45 caliber bullets which are .452 or .458 you have to be a little more careful. The .452 diameter need the black sabots made for a .45 caliber bullet in .452 diameter. BUT in the .458 which is also a .45 caliber (normally made for the 45/70 government) they are an orange sabot, in .458 diameter.

All of them would work well on deer. Deer are not that hard to kill and a 200-300 grain bullet is plenty medicine.

As for powder, if shooting a 209 ignition the Triple Se7en 2f is a great powder. Lots of power and goes off fine for me. You will need to get a powder measure that measures powder in volume. Set the measure at 80 grains and then start shooting groups. Work the measure up to 120 grains of loose, depending on the rifle you shoot and the accuracy you get. Normally somewhere between 90-110 is best accuracy in most rifles. BUT know what the manufacturer of your rifle recommends.

What kind of rifle are you shooting? I best some of these people can tell you a load that might work.