HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shooting Muzzle loader $$
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 07:52 AM
lemoyne
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shooting Muzzle loader $$

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Ok I've come to the conclusion that I've got to change what I'm doing with my muzzle loader. It is costing me to damn much to shoot this thing. Over the last few weekends I've shot through at least $175 worth of powder and bullets.

Here's what I've been doing so far:

777 Pellets
TC Shockwaves 250gr
Powerbelts 245gr

How many loadings can I get out of a lb of Blackhorn? I'm thinking like 70 since 7000 grains in a lb and approx 100grs per load. I've been reading the posts and am thinking about trying it. Will it fire with the standard breech plug in my Omega?

What are some bullets and sabots that I can hunt with that I can purchase in bulk? I want to stay away from the $20 for 15 round bullets. It's getting out of freakin hand!

Tom
Well since no one else did, theres a few thing you should notice.
The idea of going buy 7000 gr in a pound when loads are measured by volume dont work.
For your info, the standard set by Weastern for Black Horn is that 70 gr of wt is equal100gr by black powder volume.
Those power belts you mentioned not only cost excessively but have a narrow field of application [dont load more than 85 gr of powder by vol behind them they might frag on an animal]
Black Horn works well for me in an Omega[ use a 1/8 inch drill to clean the carbon out of the breah plug now and then if you use win 209's]
Black Horn has only 10 oz in a can. It is very expensive and not the way to cut costs.
#1 If you are shooting for fun there are much cheaper ways to go.
I recommend loose powder, Pyrodex will work fine it is the most cosistant of the cheaper subs.
#2 Buy XTP or Gold Dot bullets in bulk if you want to use them for hunting to, I recommend 250 gr Gold Dot for deer size animals.
#3 if you are not hunting ,then buy lead bullets in bulk or mold and size your own [ some do this for hunting to]
Buy yor sabots in bulk from Graf or Midsouth.
#4 If you configure your buying carefully you should do better than 50% of what you were spending.
#5 If you want to use the best for hunting and still shoot all year long then try the Parker or Barnes or Partition bullets and only shoot them to sight in before season and for deer or what ever.
Lee