HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - cleaning Dove
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 10:33 AM
npaden
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cleaning Dove

In the field I pull the wings off and pull the head off. Then I hold the bird's back with my left hand and put my right thumb right under the sternum of the bird and just push it in. Once you break through the skin you just keep going with your thumb and pull the entire breast of the bird free. Toss the rest of the bird and pull the remaining feathers off the breast. Don't pluck anything, just pull the skin off and the feathers will come too. At the end of this step you end up with a bone-in breast that I just put back in a bag to take to the house. This whole process takes 20 or 30 seconds per bird depending on how shot up the bird is and how good of a job you do getting all the feathers off that like to stick to the meat.

At the house I put the breasts in the sink and clip the wings all the way off with a good pair of meat scissors. Then I start from the top of the breast (toward where the head would have been) and dig my thumb down into the meat between where the wing bone and the breast bone. Get this started on both sides then you dig you thumb and forefinger down to the breast bone on both sides at once and start pulling the breast off the bone. It should come off in one piece attached in the middle. I usually then use the meat scissors to snip the wishbone off, sometimes it pulls off without cutting it but usually I just snip it out. This process takes about 20 or 30 seconds also.

I do this with all the breasts and then wash them really good. No point in washing them before you get them deboned because alot of the feathers stick to the underside of the breast bone and you end up throwing that part away anyway. I then pack them into the little ziplock snack bags. 4 or 5 fit in there perfect depending on how big they are. You end up with nice skinless boneless breasts that are perfect for making BBQ shiskabobs with. I typically wrap the dove breast around a slice of jalepeno pepper then wrap 1/2 a piece of bacon around each dove breast. When the bacon is done then the dove is done.

That's my method. I might try to do a youtube video of the process sometime.