HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - cleaning Dove
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 07:31 AM
TexasBowHunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cleaning Dove

It is really simple, if you do it once you wont pluck anymore. This is the way I have always done it (I am sure there are many ways).With feathers already off the breast (don'tneed to pluck the whole bird)as well as wings pulled or clipped.With your hands around the bird so that both thumbs are in the center of the breast, apply pressure to theloose skin with your thumbs and begin to push your thumbs apart from each other to each side of the breast removing the loose skin (basicallyyou are ripping the skin apart)to expose thepretty red meat of the breast.Oncethe breast is exposedyou will want to find where the breast comes to a point (the point is at the bottom of the breast opposite end of the head),you will take your thumb under the point and wind up with your thumb behind the breast then you just use both handsto seperate the breast from the bird. It really is easy, I might not have described it good but it is really simple.Once you do a few you should easily be able tohavethe breast off the bird in 30 seconds...

Guess I should also add, I get a plastic container and as I de-breast the birds I just put them in the container and then once I am done with all the birds Iclean them all off with water at the same time and bag in freezer bags...