HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer & Deer Hunting article on lunar rut predictions!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:37 PM
NEW61375
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer & Deer Hunting article on lunar rut predictions!

I think that is the way he makes the distinction but the science behind it is pretty simple and the theory differs from his. The pineal gland is a photosensory gland and detects/is affected by all light(including moonlight or lack there of), not just thephotoperiod. Google Pineal gland, pg animal studies, pg and the moon, etc and there will be more than you want to read on it. The 2nd full moon or rutting moon is supposed to be the trigger for the pineal gland according to his theory but in all actuality that full moon will cause a decrease of melatonin ouptut from the pineal gland. Scientific data I have read points to increased levels of melatonin as the cause for greater reproductive activity in both does and bucks.

I posted this huge long post a while back that has a lot to do with this topic, I'm sure most never read it(and I understand completely) but included are my rut predictions and why I think that(not that it matters) mainlyjust a guess for fun but I will definitely be keeping track and comparing itto the D&DH predictions.