HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer & Deer Hunting article on lunar rut predictions!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:19 PM
NEW61375
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer & Deer Hunting article on lunar rut predictions!

while I don't think Alseheimers way off some of his stuff doesn't seem to match other scientific data available and seems a little outdated. For example this is from one of his earlier articles:

The Hypothesis
"As further background, I'll offer the hypothesis for our research. At some point in autumn, the amount of daylight decreases enough to reset the whitetail's reproductive clock, thus placing the breeding season in November, December and January in the Northern Hemisphere. Once the doe's reproductive cycle is reset by a specific amount of daylight, her estrous cycle is ready to be cued by moonlight, which provides a bright light stimulus to the pineal gland several nights in a row each lunar month. Then, the rapid decrease in lunar brightness during the moon's third quarter triggers hormonal production by the pineal gland. Physiological changes prompted by the pineal gland culminate in ovulation and estrous. "

The part in bold is opposite of almost everything scientific I haveread about the pineal gland,since bright light actuallyreducesthe ouptut of melatonin from the gland. What's worse is the very next sentence after that, which Ifeel is correct, contradicts what he already wrote. Had he just left out the bold and continued at "....the rapid decrease..."
I feel it would be more accurate.

Bright light does not stimulate the pineal gland itdoes the exact opposite,causes a reduction inthe output of melatonin. The only articles I can find that suggest the full moon "stimulates" the gland are hunting writers/articles. Everything I have found involving scientific data relate increased reproductive activity to decreased photoperiod and increased levels of melatonin because of the dark. Go figure.