HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer & Deer Hunting article on lunar rut predictions!
Old 08-08-2008, 11:13 AM
vmartin
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer & Deer Hunting article on lunar rut predictions!

deer are trigered by the shortening days, from what i have been told is that november has the shortest day of the year, this and the moon control the deer (shortening the light). the other big factor that i play more heavily than the moon is the weather. if you have a mild weather year then the visual rut can be non-existant. i like the year that the weather kicks in real cold right around the rut, this triggers something in deer saying i need to breed if my fawn is going to drop at the right time. for the deer it is all about timing, the does don't want to drop their fawn too early and have it die in the cold harsh environment or too late and not have that extra nutrition that only spring provides, plus it is better if the fawn is droped as early as possible so it can survive the next winter. to say that only one thing affectsthe deer i believe is wrong, it is a combination of events that come together.