HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer Gun Selection help>>>
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: Deer Gun Selection help>>>

If rifles are legal in your area I wouldn't mess with a slug gun or ML unless you want to use them for the challenge. I use them because I am forced to, but there is no doubt in my mind a centerfire with the proper bullet is a much more efficient weapon.

If you want to save some money look at a Stevens in any caliber you think suits you, .243, 25-06, 7mm-08, .270, .308 or 30-06. In my opinion the 270, .308 and 30-06 are a bit over kill and more recoil than you need for a deer gun but they are very popular.

I would personally go for the Stevens in a .243 and buy a scope separate. Don't get one of the package guns, they come with some pretty cheap scopes on them. And Stevens is made by Savage, basically they are just the older savage 110's which are great guns. I used to have one. I have a Savage 16 in stainless now and like it, but it costs almost twice what a Stevens will cost.

A 30-30 lever gun is a nice gun as well, marlin makes some really nice ones.

You could probably get a rifle, scope and mounts for around 500 ish. And that's assuming a decent 200 dollar hunting scope.

Paul