HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Smooth Bore Barrel - Rifled Choke Tube?
Old 06-20-2008, 05:22 PM
salukipv1
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Smooth Bore Barrel - Rifled Choke Tube?

Back in the day I only had a smooth bore.....was shooting slugs through that that had rifling on them....which were supposedly better than classic style slugs, but my gun guy told me they were hardly any better, asked about a rifled choke....he said that does nothing either.....if you goto shoot sabots out of a rifle choke....that bullets only being stablized by max 6" of rifling...vs. 20-24"

So whether smooth bore or rifled choke.....neither will be anything compared to a fully rifled bore....also that bullet is flying without twist then suddenly hits the rifled choke....vs a rifled barrel twisting from the get go....

you can try one but I wouldn't expect much of an improvement....either live with what you have or try to get a rifled barrel...

I'm pretty certain you can find one for that model....otherwise ? might have to get a new one....I have a semi auto....but really in a slug gun I see less use for a semi auto compared to birds/semi auto.

A pump slug, or even a single shot woudl be ok.....so maybe a 870 w/ hastings etc...you can pick up used/cheap and be ahead....something to consider....