HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Smooth Bore Barrel - Rifled Choke Tube?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Absolute Giant
Spike

Default Smooth Bore Barrel - Rifled Choke Tube?

I purchased a Benelli Super Black Eagle II last year and had considered purchasing a Rifled Slug Barrel for deer hunting. My go to slug gun now is a Remington 870 Express with a Rifled Barrel. Unfortunately there aren't any aftermarket companies that make a Rifled Slug Barrel (or at least I haven't noticed any) formy Benelli SBEIIso I would be stuck purchasing it from a Benelli dealer. I will not fork out $500+ for a Rifled Slug Barrel. I have heard some good succes with guys using Rifled Choke Tubes in a smooth bore barrel and shooting Rifled Slugs. This seems to be a much more reasonable alternative. My other main use for my Benelli is Turkey Hunting. I would like to know what you guys think. I understand that if I use a Rifled Choke tube in my smooth bore barrel that I need to use Rifled Slugs, whereas if I were to shoot slugs through aRifled Slug barrel thatI wouldneed to use Sabot Slugs.

Those that have used a Rifled Choke Tube in a smooth bore barrel or know of someone that did what did you think? Any harm in using a Rifled Choke Tube in my Smooth Bore Barrel then turning around and using the same gun/barrel for Turkey Hunting? Any of you tried this with a SBEII. I would also like to know what Rifled Choke Tubes you like and with what slug combination.

Thanks Everyone