HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best winter food plot, and when to plant?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:12 AM
IL-Cornfed
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best winter food plot, and when to plant?

ORIGINAL: passthru79

You need to look at what you have planted around your property first. If there are larges fields of beans and corn a few small food plots arent gonna be able to compete with the big agricultural fields. What I like to do is try and find something different that the deer cant get anywhere else. Sometimes Ill plant a rape/turnip mix, sometimes biologic, sometimes forage oats, they all work great you just have to offer the deer something they really like that they cant get elswhere.
I havent found this tobe the case at all in my area. As you know, this region of IL is extremely well known for its large ag fields of corn, beans and alfalfa but its not rather they are offered but IF they are still offered as a standing crop come hunting season. I've planted numerous plots over the past severl years consisting of Buck Forage Oats, numerous Brassicas, different varieties of wheat and other fall "hunting plots" but still nothing has compared to the attractiveness of standing corn/beans come hunting season in my area. One of our 1 1/2acre plots of Bio-Maxx is located only 50 yards away from a 100 acre cornfield and the deer wont stay out of this plot come October. Just our experience