HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best lure to use in farm pond?
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Austin/WI

Default RE: Best lure to use in farm pond?

ORIGINAL: mauser06

i absolutely used to slam bass in farm ponds with the mini spinner baits...they are the same shape and design as full sized spinner baits, just smaller...i did REALLY well with them everywhere when i used to bass fish alot. i never liked the full sized ones...i aint on TV and dont have 5lb bass all over...them full sized spinner baits were just too big looking to me...never even tried them...them smaller ones are a killer though...and still caught me bass of all sizes...

also, poppers worked great exspecially if there was logs or cover in the water i couldnt get the spinner baits into..i could use the popper and draw them out of the cover...and top water bass fishing is just a blast...
Couldn't agree more, the smaller spinners are killer baits anywhere. I use them in white, pink, and white/pink combos. You can also try the Beetle spin type lures, I like tipping the jig with a power grub or mister twister myself, intead of the beetle grub. Also, you can never go wrong with an inline spinner as well. Try a Mepps Comet or white RoosterTail.

I too am also a fan of small poppers and prop-style baits too. I am especially partial to the prop bait, but that's just me. Like mauser said, they work great where you can't throw the spinners, and they are very easy to use - not to mention waiting for a bass to hit a topwater bait is one of the most exciting ways to fish. Good luck and show us your results!