HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - looking for a cast bullet in the 30-06
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2003, 04:29 PM
LARRY338

Default RE: looking for a cast bullet in the 30-06

Propmahn, I have an old Lyman mold that works best in my 03A3, but there are several bullets available that are real similar. Mine is a 311291A Its a roundnose with the front half a bore rider, with two grease grooves and three wide driving bands. Gas check. I' m sure the tumble lube would work fine with it. My load is out of Ken Waters manual and Ive seen it shoot good in every 3006 Ive shot it in. Its 15 gr of 4227. I use a piece of dacron batting about 3/4" square as a filler. As you know there is some debate over fillers causing ringed chambers, but Ive shot thousands of rounds without ringing one yet. If you can seat the bullet to the base of the neck I dont think you can ring one. Ive tried this load without the filler and it shoots ok, but tighter with the filler. The metal I use is 2 parts wheel weights, 1 part scrap lead, 1 part linotype, and .1 part tin. I just happen to have a whole bunch of this metal that I mixed up years ago, but you can get wheel weights to shoot just as good by quenching them. The bullets should be dropped out of the mold into a bucket of cold water to harden this way. Needless to say, be very careful about doing this as water and molten metal dont mix. The bullets come out of my mold at about .310 diameter with this metal. And I have found that they shoot better at .310 than either .309 or .308. Maybe you will get good results in your enfield as they come from the mold. Most 30 caliber molds will throw bullets around .310 anyway using wheel weights or something harder. What kind of metal do you plan on using? You will be more likely to get an oversize bullet to shoot straight than one bore size anyway. RCBS makes a mold that works good too, but I dont know the number. The bullet is 180 gr and the nose part looks like a icbm missle. You will know what Im talking about it you look at some pictures of their molds. The main thing about these bore riding bullets is that your bore needs to be small enough to where the tops of the lands supports the nose of the bullet. You can check that by sticking a bullet in your muzzle. If it will go in then the bullet is too small. You will need to lap the nose portion of the mold. Are you a member of the cast bullet association? I didnt mean to write a book here, but cast bullet shooting is something I like to do. It will allow you to shoot your highpowers many more times than if you only used jacketed bullets. Accuracy in the range of 1 moa is not hard to get either. Good luck. The Lyman cast bullet handbook is a good reference if you dont already have it.