HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7 mm ultra mag, good gun?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 12:10 PM
salukipv1
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 7 mm ultra mag, good gun?

I believe the 7mm RUM would get really hot! I know guys love them, but the only RUM I hear that have made it are certainly the 300 RUM, and the 338RUM, the 7mmRUM and 375RUM I believe are either dead or not doing well and on their way out.

Also I think the 7mm STW is more of a success than the 7mm RUM and do similar thigns....both are ultramag 7mm's.

Knowing a round is dead or dying would certainly make me think twice about buying a rifle chamberedfor it.....also if you had to sell it down the road that would be a real problem, could be.

I think the 7mm RUM would just need more spacing between shots.....in the field I wouldnt worry though how often are you gonna shoot more than 3 quickly in the feild? plenty of cooling between those times. At the range/bench I'd just take my time....

The 7mm RUM is a screamer....but the 300RUM is also a screamer, and way popular, so my choices would be a 7mm STW or a .300 RUM. I'd be cautious a bout buying a 7mm RUM.

I think a new .300 win mag might be a wiser choice. A .300 wsm or .300 RUM would also be a round to consider esp if you're buying new. If you really want that scope, try to just get the friend to sell you that. I think I'd pass on the friends rifle, can also find a scope online/rifle. Also I don't picture many shots in MICH over 500yds.....so not sure why anyone needs a RUM there, or even a .300 win mag, you may really want to consider the .270WSM or .300WSM.