HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 22 17 22 250 which one
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: 22 17 22 250 which one

I don't understand your question? What do you want to use it for? I can't see the 28 gauge being inexpensive. I thought it was one of the more expensive gauges. Definitely more than the 17 per shell. And it's in between a 410 and 20 gauge so it wouldn't my first choice for a turkey gun. In my opinion it's a better bunny gun than a turkey gun.

For squirrel and rabbit the 28 gauge would work pretty well. Or the .22 if your a good shot and they stay still long enough. I don't consider the 22 being long range though, 50 yards, maybe 75 if your good with it.

The 17 is accurate and flatter shooting, good easily out to 100-130 yards without compensating for drop. The down side it it's pretty destructive on small game. Head shots are pretty much a must if you plan on eating them. And it's good for larger stuff like P dogs, small woodchucks, crows, feral cats, fox and some shoot yotes with them. About 10 bucks for 50 rounds where I live, not cheap, but not what I would consider real expensive either.

The 22-250 is definitely a long range gun and the most expensive to shoot. And way overkill for bunnies and squirrels. Mostly a varmint gun, but in a pinch you could deer hunt with it if you used the right bullets.

Paul