HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - new slug gun
Thread: new slug gun
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 04:30 PM
ChazyKEJ

Default RE: new slug gun

Redline,

My short answer is I use all of them. I usually have at least 3 shotguns with me during deer season. If I'm in my ground blind, I have a fully rifled, scoped, Ithaca Deerslayer II. It is a dedicated slug gun with great accuracy out to 150 yds. If you ever find one of these used, it is a great gun. If I'm walking or pushing a woodlot, I'm carrying an Ithaca deerslayer 12 gauge smoothbore. It is super light to carry, but the recoil is harsh.These can be found used at very reasonable prices.If people are pushing deer to me, I'm sitting with an open sight remington 1100 smoothbore 12 gauge. It is awesome at reducing the recoil and is quite accurate. The gun is just too heavy to carry around. Used remington 1100's are fairly inexpensive and you can readily buy replacement barrels including bird barrels and rifled slug barrels. If you can find a remington 1100 magnum in a 12 gauge it is even more versatile. For years I used a cheap winchester model 120 pump. Very accurate gun, but was always replacing broken parts. So, if you are hunting out of treestands or in wooded lots, any smoothbore in any configuration will do the trick, and can be bought pretty cheap. Regular shots of 80-130 yds, one really needs a rifled slug gun and preferably a scope. Remington 870's never fit me right, but are well regarded. If you've got $1200 to burn, I'd look into the new Ithaca Deerslayer II coming out of Ohio. Check out their website if you get a chance.

Chazykej