HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - German k98 8mm Mauser
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 11:54 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: German k98 8mm Mauser

ORIGINAL: jcsfootball

ok so my grandfather gave me his German k98 mauser that he brought back from World War II. i got a Ruger M77 in .270 soon after that, so i already have a deer rifle. i have a good bit of ammo for the mauser and its still shootable and i enjoy shooting it. should i put a scope mount and a scope on it so i can take it deer hunting as well, or just leave it like it is? or is there any scope/scope mount that you can just clip onto the rifle without having to drill into it? the only reason why i wouldn't put a scope on the rifle is that it would damage the rifle's re-sale value if i ever wanted/needed to sell it. what should i do?
There are some "no-drill" mounts that fit the Kar 98K Mausers. I think there is one that fits onto the rear sight base. You do have to remove the sight leaf, but that comes off easily and of course fits right back on, retoring the rifle to original. The one drawback I see is that the scope is mounted in the "scout scope" position, and requires an intermediate eye relief scope such as that made by Leupold.

I think B-Square and/or Millett make such a mount.

Since a great number of rifles like yours have been "bubba-ized", I suggest you consider preserving it in its original condition!