HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Full choke with steel in Rem 870?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Default Full choke with steel in Rem 870?

I shoot a Remington 870 Super Express Magnum (chambered for 2 3/4", 3", and 3 1/2" shells) that is about 3 years old.

I thought I heard that it was a bad idea to shoot steel through a full choke, the idea being that the stress of forcing the steel through the greater constriction of the full choke may cause the barrel to stretch and thin and thereafter, as a result of the thinning, bulge and ultimately burst. Part of the analysis may involve understanding that some steel loads are high velocity, up to 1550 FPS, maybe even 1600 FPS. Part of the analysis may further consider shot size, for example advising against using full chokes with large steel shot -- #2, BB, BBB, T.

Does anyone have a comprehensive understanding of this issue that can provide some clarification? Can I get a full choke and use it in my 870? If I do, are their any restrictions on size of shot, muzzle velocity of shoot, or shot material that I need to be aware of? I am most interested in using either Hevi Shot (just as hard if not harder than steel) and steel.