HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ammo for H&R Ultra Slug Hunter??
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 07:08 PM
MichiganWhitetails74
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ammo for H&R Ultra Slug Hunter??

Riner69,

I have acheap Lyman vise I bought from Dunhams....The main thing is that you try to lock the gun up as much as you can....once you set your shoulder into it you will see slight movement in your scope...

I shoot at 3 inch black ring targets at 100 yards......My recticle dances slightly inside the center of the black 3 inch ring....this is only what I experience with my set-up..30 dollar vise vs/ 200 dollar...

Trigger Squeeze -Not judging your experience - but..... if you're notsqueezing graduallyuntil the gun fires (you should be surprised when the gun goes off) you may only get ok groups...4 inch at best...

If you have a rock solid trigger finger your gun may not be happy with the ammo ...if you're experiencingbullets thatare drifting upward...I have had this problem with bullets too...

H&R gun barrels are thick and heavy....I have never experienced eratic groups because of hot barrels...however....5 boxes of shells on a 90 degree day could cause variation as well...

One thing is for sure....Regardless of where the tool life was on the tool that machined your barrel at the factory? There should be a bullet out there that your gun likes...I would say Hornady, Federal or Lightfield would get you where you want to be...the Remingtons sure did leave me with a dirty barrel in my gun though....My H&R 30-06 puked up the Remingtons too...I'm pumped to get out and try a different round with my new 30-06...