HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Making a home-made crossbow?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 05:06 PM
grndhntr

Default Making a home-made crossbow?

It looks like a couple of you guys have made your own midieval-style crossbows (Wyvern and Arthur P.). Could you guys answer a few questions for me? 1.Are your homemade crossbows heavier or lighter than the factory built ones (6# or so)? 2. What did it cost to build and where did you get parts? 3. I didn't see any sights on the ones in pictures I saw, do you aim "instinctively" or use the point of the bolt? 4. Have you shot these through a chronograph to see how fast (or slow) they are? I'm giving some thought to trying my hand at making one of these. It seems that the trigger mechanism would be the most challenging part to make. I think I would try to make a wooden prod. 5. How long would I need to make a wooden prod to make it last on a 125# crossbow (min. for hunting big game here in Colorado)?6. Can you keep a wooden prod crossbow cocked for a long time or do you need to let it rest more than a solid fiberglass prod? (anyone else with knowledge about homemade crossbows can jump in too). Thanks!