HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - callling deer in early season and rut?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 08:05 AM
vmartin
Fork Horn

Default RE: callling deer in early season and rut?

calling in september... it doesn't have to be an exact science because all the deer out there are in different moods, one thing may work one day but not the next. i prefer to make it sound like i am making rubs with my antlers, and durring that month bucks are going to be climbing the ranks to see who has first choice on the first receptive does. bucks in september can be very curious to other buck activity. some are not in there peak testosterone yet so if you rattle, test them out and start with light rattling and move on to knock down drag out fighs. i bring all my calls with me and try to keep my calling fresh. a lot of the exact same calling in the same spot can tell deer that something is up. just have fun, try new stuff and learn from it. my favorate call is from "hunters specialties" i can't remember the name "truth" or something? it is rubber. i have tried a lot of calls, this one has produce the best tone, i think it is because of the rubber.