HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Colorado Drop Camp Outfitter?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 08:19 PM
rbullom
Spike

Default RE: Colorado Drop Camp Outfitter?

If you can afford it, use the outfitter. Don't know if you've hunted elk before or been in this region before but the Flattops is Big and there is a diverse range of success between areas and outfitters. I packed in our own drop camp back in the 80's on the east side where Winterhawk's permits are located up Derby Creek. Theyrun a big operation, lots of horses and lots of time at the trade shows. They may have a good rep outside this area but...I know the area, and have taken bulls, cows and bucks out of their permit area. There are better areas in the flattops. The White River Herd that everyone knows is the the biggest in the county is not on the east side of the flattops. Those elk drift down east to the Colorado River side during the winter. The west side of the flattops and the north sideup the White River and the Williams Fork are the big herd that migrates west. The outfitter's I gave you along with Bar H that Chief suggest have the permits in the more productive areas of theFlattops.
Archery andSmokestick season are during a time that you may get warm weather. A DIY huntin warm weather without horses is risky. Elk will spoil in hot temps and are hard to cool.You need to get them out and cooled quickly, within a day. Without an outfitter with horses is risky if you're back in 3 or more miles.You can DIY but it's allot of work and you really need allot of equipment and extra time to set up camps unless you are a real hard core, on your back, small camp and go type. Sounds easy but it's not.