HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - magnum vs 308 or 270 or 30-06
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2007, 09:00 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: magnum vs 308 or 270 or 30-06

Not being recoil sensitive, I enjoythe full rangeof cartridges from22LR thru the standards up thru the light and heavy "mags/bigbores" on up to the 50BMG.
-- The 22LR is my favorite "pure fun" cartridge (runner up for funis 223 in the centerfire ranks).
-- The standards are great as I enjoy mixing them into an target/practice outing to get the overall shot count up, 308 and 30-06 are sweet there and are solid cross-over cartridges.
-- Iget a different kind of satisfaction from the friskier rounds both on targets and on game; just love that K-THUD sound out off of thebusiness end of the barrel of a 338, 375, 416, or 458.
-- The best part of the 50 BMG is just dropping the shell into the chamber and closing the bolt and just sitting theresizing it up.... oh yeah,then torching it off.... what a rush.

Hunting wise, I am simplya big fan of matching the cartridge to the task at hand to ensure high probability favorable outcomes,and NOT seeing how little I can "justget by" with. I believe in erring on the side of having plenty versus going in weak and regretting it later, especially since Itend towards being a "get it done" guy andI don't like having to wait for a "posed" (perfect broadside) shot that may not ever come, so bone busting ability and deep penetration are requisites of mine. I hate tracking, though I am pretty good at it (unfortunately). [BTW, I have never done a Texas heart shot.]

In general, for hunting:
** Never go undergunned.
** Always check the site in.
** PERFORM at showtime when the shot opportunity presents itself. (That includes manage whatever recoil there is and put the round where it counts andstop screwing around, plus no whining.)
================================================== =

For folks whose health is failing them, are way too little-young-or-tender, haven't been properly trained, or are just plain (over?) "sensitive" other avenues are typically necessary, but that is someone else's story.

My nickel.