HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why to take does....and does it affect buck sightings?
Old 10-16-2007, 08:47 AM
GMMAT
Dominant Buck

Default Why to take does....and does it affect buck sightings?

I had a forum member PM me and ask me some questions regarding this....and "I" thought it might be of interest to some others in a similar situation to me. If it's not interesting.....don't read it!

---------------------------------------

I know that i've never introduced myself to you but i think we're alike in many ways.It seems that you hunt every chance you get....as do I (24 hunts after tonight and it'll be 25th in the morning). It also seems that you will take a doe at any goodshot opportunity, which is not a bad thing at all. I'm not writing this to you to **** at you but to ask your opinion. I've arrowed 3 does so far this year and loved every second in the stand so far. Here we go-

But one of my dads friend brought this to my attention and I think that he may have a good point and i can see where he is coming from. He will shoot does but not until the end of the season b/c his belief is that your killing your chances on a good buck w/out the does in the area come rut time. He has many many big deer under his belt. 7 -150's 2- 160's and 3-170's and he will not kill a doe until the rut is over or until he has taken his buck for the year.
What’s his population like? What’s his buck:doe ratio like? He may be doing just fine with this approach. I can’t do that. I need to take more than a couple out. If I wait….it’ll never happen….and WHILE I wait….the does are eating food that could be utilized by other deer, later in the year. They also stand a darned good chance of being bred. They also stand a good chance of not being killed, later. If I take a doe out of the herd in Sept…..she’s not eating food…..she’s not going to be coming into estrous….and she certainly isn’t going to reproduce. How many deer have I potentially taken out of the herd by doing this? How many have I helped?

I personally hunt area's with way way too many does but some very big deer as well. I see a shooter buck (130 and up for me) probably 1 out of 3-4 sits on stand. I do not hesitate to shoot a doe(unless there is a shooter buck in sight) but i was wondering the amount of bucks that you see when the rut comes around? And do you think that if you held off on the does that you would see more bucks?
Yes. I’d likely see a few more bucks EARLY…..but I don’t think the big picture is being looked at, overall. If a doe comes into estrous….it’s highly likely “A” buck is going to breed her. When there’s little competition…..there’s more of a likelihood that the dominant buck(s) aren’t going to be able to handle the workload. In a perfect world….the doe prances her would-be suitor around the woods…for the sole purpose of wanting the dominant buck to see her, ready….and get this juvenile off her butt. Natural selection at its’ finest in the deer woods. The more does the dominant bucks have to breed…..the less healthy they are (some die during this process….or shortly thereafter). Thinning does to a more manageable population creates competition for the ones left. It also means there are less does, overall, to be bred…..which means that we should see healthier bucks. What I risk at the beginning of the season (possible fewer buck sightings)……I hope to reap rewards from near the end.

I saw 7 buck sightings, last year….through 10/28. I have exactly seven, this year, to date. From 10/28 through the end of the season, last year, I had 37 more sightings. I hope it is better, this year, but I’d take that, again.

I hope this answers your questions…..and understand I’m still learning. I’ve had some good teachers, though…..the guys in the forum.