HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - cva bobcat
Thread: cva bobcat
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 12:11 AM
Angel Eyes

Default RE: cva bobcat

Four years ago my wife bought me a .50 caliber CVA Bobcat sidelock for my birthday. Cost $50 then. Mine uses the little # 11 caps. Cute little gun but it shot poorly, failing to group at even 25 yds with a patched ball. Also shot low with its fixed sights. Too low to correct by filing down the the front sight. Finally figured out the rifling was too sharp and was cutting my patches. I hand lapped the bore and replaced the back sight with a step adjustable rear sight off an old junker Marlin .22 semi auto. Fit right in the dovetail. Blackened the brass blade front site with my daughter's black nail polish. Now it shoots incredibly well. Friends and I play games at the range putting clay birds on the dirt bank behind the 50 yard target. I can break clay birds targets every shot at 60-65 yds if I do my part. My friends with their far more expensive traditionals and in-lines hate to shoot against it. Mine likes 75 grains of FF Triple Seven with a pre lubed patched ball. I use a 80 grain hunting load. Bagged my first deer with it a week ago. A 6 point running straight at me. Dropped him in his tracks with a center shot. Sort of silly, but I wouldn't take a thousand dollars for my little Bobcat.....Mark "Angel Eyes"