HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - PA Early doe season rant
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 09:46 AM
FOP23
Fork Horn

Default PA Early doe season rant

As tomorrow marks the opener of PA early doe season in certain urban areas, I wanted to voice some concerns for those of us who hunt land bordering these areas. Please feel free to respond with pros or cons. In recent years, Pennsylvania has instituted several programs to increase the doe harvest. They have an early muzzeloader season, a youth rifle season, and nowa two (2) week early archery season for the urban areas around Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. I did not apply for a doe tag for these areas, but I routinely hunt the management areas surrounding the Pittsburgh area (i.e. 2C and 2A). I must agree that the current management practices of the game commission have shown proven results, however I also believe that the early seasons will educate the mature bucks thus turning them nocturnal weeks earlier. As for the less than ethical hunters, during the early doe seasons will a large framed ten point get to walk? Please weigh in with opinions. Also I received this pic, a road kill in SW PA.