HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rotating Crops
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 04:05 PM
tycteach
Spike

Default RE: Rotating Crops

ORIGINAL: WhitetailObsession

Corn would be a great crop if you were gonna plant alflafa the year after. You could then have alfalfa for 5-10 years before planting corn again. I would suggest mowing the alfalfa though because deer love eating the new growth. Winter wheat also helps release nitrogen in the soil, but you plant htis in the fall and deer do not eat it.
This just goes to show you that it's very different from region to region. I live in S.W. Oklahoma and there are thousands upon thousands of acres of winter wheat planted here and the deer LOVE it. If they don't eat it there, I'm guessing there is something else growing at that time of the year that they must like more. Also, I don't know about releasing nitrogen but winter wheat here has to have nitrogen here to grow (that's what may have been meant). It's not uncommon here for farmers to put 100# of nitrogen down per acre to help their winter wheat grow and produce good forage and seed. I farm just over 100 acres of wheat and believe me the deer love it and the nitrogen in the soil gets used up by it and has to be replentished.