HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tried new powder/bullet combination
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 12:19 PM
wabi
Nontypical Buck

Default Tried new powder/bullet combination

And the results were not what I hoped for! [:@]
Picked up some T/C 250 grain shockwaves and some Jim Shockey's Gold powder to try in the Lyman Mustang. At 50 yards the combination gave about a 2" group using 100 grains powder. Moved to 100 yards and most of the shots were on paper (8.5 x 11" target) All over and no guess as to where the next one was going. I finally noticed one went through the target sideways! Backed down to 80 grains and still no accuracy. Moved back to 50 yards and switched to Pyrodex. About a 2" group. Dug through my bag and found one Barnes Expander MZ 250 grainbullet. Fired it with 100 grais Pyrodex (the load I'm sighted in with) and it was dead center & 1" high - right where it should be at 50 yards!
My conclusion - the Mustang don't like T/C shockwaves! Now I've got to try the new powder with Barnes Expanders.
Bought the Jim Shockey's gold because it was the best choice in the local store. The Goex Pinnacle was old and hard as a brick inside the bottle, they didn't have T-7 loose in stock, and I figured the Shockey's Gold was the premium AP powder. It was very clean & no crud ring, so if it will launch the Barnes bullets accurately I may switch to it. Seems like BP & Pyrodex are disappearing from the dealer's shelves here locally.