Old 06-18-2007, 06:41 PM
gleason.chapman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 777 powder FF vs FFF question

ORIGINAL: cayugad

ORIGINAL: Cossack17

Cayugad, thank you for the reply.
I have another question to ask.
My first rifle was Remington 700ML, x4 Russian scope with ORW Leupold mounts. I tried to keep it simple and 250 grains Powerbelts pushed by 2 Pirodex 50 grain pellets did a nice job on three deer. The longest time I spent looking for the downed deer was less than 5 minutes.
The problem is that occasionally I had an opportunity to see a game pass 120 yards (up to 250) and at the same time I enjoy the still hunting in the hilly areas.
So I just got a new SS Omega (28” fluited bbl) and Trijicon 3x9 Accupoint with Warne Maxima rings
The question is:
-What would you recommend for bullets and loads for the hunt if I will be mostly still hunting with scope set to x3 and 60-80 yard shoots and occasional opportunities to take 120 to 190 yard shoots (not off hand of cause)?
If you were shooting the Omega, I would load it with a 250 or 300 grain Shockwave. I would load 100 grains of loose T-7 powder. That load WITH PRACTICE should handle any whitetail deer out to 200 yards if you can shoot that well. Work for accuracy.

If 90 grains works better then 100 or even 110 then use 90 grains. People I think are getting too focused on velocity. Accuracy and shot placement is what I worry about. Even with 90 grains, that is going to produce a hard hitting load.

There are some Omega shooters on here that I am sure can tune you into a real good hard hitting long range load that works in their rifles. I base most of my long range shooting on my Black Diamond XR.

Good luck with your new rifle.
This is what a SW can do in an Omega:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/tcshockwave300g.htm

with 100g of AM Poineer loose, not sure of the primer. Supplied Sabot. I had a heck of a time getting it down the barrel, you may also. It needs to be tight but not too tight. I did NOT try other sabots, but you could try the crushed rib or the MMP EZ-3petal if they are too tight. Oh they have a SuperGlide sabot with a SW here for $9.63 for 15:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000308215

Oh, I now use 777 loose 3F, 100g in my Omega. The SW are excellent longer ranger bullets especially in the bonded bullet. There is evidence that the 250 fragment but the 300 stay together. The bonded don't loose their jacket, but the non-bonded SW do, but they are as accurate as heck in most Omegas for longer ranger shooting.
Chap Gleason