HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Which scope for 30-06 (deer rifle)?
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 06:30 AM
8mm/06
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which scope for 30-06 (deer rifle)?

Wingbone, that's good advice, but most of the time the best buys are on the 3 -9 range variable scopes.....they sell more of 'em therefore they keep the price down on those.
If you go with the very cheapest model in the Leupold, it called the Rifleman I think, then the price is the same for the 2-7 as for the 3-9 I believe.
I'm not positive, but once you move up the next levels the best buys are often on the 3-9's
I couldn't agree more though about it being nice to have the lower power....I even have and use some old fixed power Weavers in 1.5, 2.5 and 3X.. and one of my favorite all time scopes is an old fixed power Leupold in 4X with the Post and crossghair reticle. Wonderful woods scope. I've actually been collecting old Weavers over the past year. I've got quite a few of 'em now and am looking forward to using them. They are a little heavy weight wise, but it's pretty surprising how good the optics are on some of these oldies...I have a few from the 50's that still are clear and crisp