HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tree Saddle or Ambush Sling - a season in review
Old 05-01-2007, 08:16 PM
kwilson16
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tree Saddle or Ambush Sling - a season in review

Tom,

Yes. You could use the sling in the position described. It would be very similar to position (1) above. Comfort is a very subjective thing but I can say that this is the postion I sleep in - if that gives you an indication of comfort level. I would say it would good for at least 40 mintues depending on personal tolerances. Your readiness to shoot will be somewhat less then (2) or (3) but it requires less movement than standing in a regular stand.

No. There are no stress/creaking noises associated with the harness itself. It's kind of hard to explain but the movement occurs between two loops of strap withoutthetorsional (big word) effect that makes creaks. But.... If there are loose pieces of bark on the trunk they can be scraped off as you move. This will definitely make noise and it will compounded as the flakes hit the ground. Some tree barks are much less prone to this kind of noise. If I cannot select a quiet-barked tree, then I remove any loose bark - preferably before season.

I was never busted by a deer within my field of view. I imagine that I was probably busted by a deer that saw me before I saw it. The saddle requires occasional position shifts and this movement is a vulnerability. There is just no getting around it unless you're some kind of Karate Monk Gymnast that can remain motionless for long periods. My reading tells me that the primary mitigation for this vulnerbaility is to hunt higher. I moved most of my foot-supporting spikes from 20 ft (+/-) to around 25 ft during this offseason. Higher would be better but an honest 25 feet is pretty far up (in my book).

I have one stand that is 30 ft to the foot supporting spikes. It is located in a small, relatively open staging area with no large trees. Height was my only option for concealment. Your nerves and ability to compensate for downhill trajectory are your only height limiting factors. Most people would probably hunt higher than me.

I am kind of surprised that this post has not attracted more members who love or hate this thing. It's at least as interesting as the whisker bisquit/drop away/scentlok/mechanical/fixed debates!