HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Smokeless Powder Muzzleloader
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2007, 05:16 PM
yeoman
Typical Buck

Default RE: Smokeless Powder Muzzleloader

Younggun243 - your profile says alot about your question. You are a life member in the forums and presumably you like a .243. I notice you've spent time on the gun section and deer hunting. Flat and fast may be where you are and looking for a challenge. Smokeless may well be a great place to start. If it is legal in your state to hunt with and that's important to you, you could get one and try both smokeless and smokeful. Maybe after a few years you'd want another challenge and go to a slow twist roundball gun or a flintlock.

I'm pretty much at the other end of things. I've been living in a "cave" (with a sidelock, oh, and a beautiful wife), depending on woodsmanship and Lady Luck to make it happen; and she has. I've been looking for a different challenge. In my case, seeing just how much performance can be achieved with sidelocks. So far, a fast twist barrel and fiber optic sights have been added, and, so far, I'm impressed and feeling only a little bit guilty.

Maybe one day you and I meet, having found our way to the weapon which most reflects the journey taken. I won't be surprised, if after all the searching and shooting and target punching we hold similar weapons. One with a sliver of stone in its jaws.

Good luck with your quest!