Community

Team 4 The Rejects

Old 05-03-2017, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice jake!

By the pics, the spurs appear to be 3/16" - spurs on an average jake are typically under 1/2 inch.

For the beard...
You should pull/stretch the beard straight. It's probably going to reach 4+" when you straighten that wave...

S&R
Old 05-03-2017, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

Yep spurs look to be 3/16" to me. Like Strut said stretch the beard out straight while getting the measurement. You may be able to squeak out an extra 1/2" by the looks of it.

For weight a typical fish scale works good. I have a dial type fish scale with a measuring tape on it. I'm looking at getting a digital though so I can be more precise.

Great bird! Any turkey is a good bird. How I normally call is I locate them with a owl hoot when they are on the roost or once they fly down I will use a crow call. If no answer with the crow call I will try a loud box call with yelps. Once I get them coming abandon the box and use the mouth call (diaphragm) with some yelping. If they gobble I will cut them off with some cutting and finish off with a yelp.

I am still learning but this has worked well for me. Take in mind though I have only taken a few first thing in the morning. I have most of my luck after 9 am and before 2pm although I did take 2 this year at 5:30pm by calling in the hen that the Toms were courting. If ya get a hen to start calling try mimicking her. This will piss her off and she will almost hop in your lap looking for the hooker that I trying to steal her man lol.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

When ya get the final score you are happy with either you post it on the score thread or I can post if for ya. What ever ya like. Congrats again
Old 05-03-2017, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

I'll post it over in the score thread, save you the time! I know being captain can be allot to keep up with. Thanks for the help everyone updated the score and posted to the score thread.
-Jake
Attached Thumbnails Team 4 The Rejects-img_0431.jpg  
Old 05-04-2017, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

Welp fellas we are hanging in there. Just a 20 points or so behind team 1. Looks like it could come down to the wire. That's why I have always liked this contest lol. Gives me a reason to keep on holding on the season even though the hunting is over for me till fall. Keep up the good work
Old 05-04-2017, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Congrats Bocajnala

Sounded like an awesome hunt, any bird you call in yourself is a trophy. I learned the hard way to get the gun ready for a followup shot. Sometimes they get up and start running and if you left your gun at your hide you can lose the bird. I got lucky and managed to find him about 75 yards inside the treeline. Got him with a followup shot. And I've heard horror stories about guys picking up a longbeard by the legs while they are still flopping, those spurs will rip your hand wide open. I just stand on their neck until the hackles go down. Another Tom rejected, and another morning of sanity and serenity in God's house.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice, Bocajnala! I still haven't had anything but birds out of range, and afraid of even leaf scratching and purrs...I'll have a few more hunts next week here in TN, then I'm out unless one of you teammates from another state wants me to come visit! HA!

Nice work, everyone.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bible_Man
Nice, Bocajnala! I still haven't had anything but birds out of range, and afraid of even leaf scratching and purrs...I'll have a few more hunts next week here in TN, then I'm out unless one of you teammates from another state wants me to come visit! HA!

Nice work, everyone.
I would say come on but our last day is tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:13 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I still got 3 Wisconsin hunts May 10-30. I expect to raise my 52 score but I don't know about 20 points! Could definitely use some help. Keep hunting hard.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

I hear ya Zim. Team 1 has at least 1 person that has taken 3 birds but they haven't posted it so we may need way more than 20 lol. Probably need 2 guys that haven't gotten one yet to get lucky. Either way considering how the contests have been going this has been a great team to be apart of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.