Community

Picture and score post

Old 05-28-2017, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have always had a picture requirement in the contest. Don't know why it would be any different now. Sorry
Old 05-29-2017, 05:13 AM
Fork Horn

I have done this contest for 5 years now. Seems to be less and less hunters every year. This is probably the #1 reason.

Some of the picture I see show nothing of the score of the bird. If I shoot a bird that scores in the 70s or 80s, you are gonna get good clear pics to prove it. Most pics have a bird by a tree on the ground or pilled up in the back of a truck. You can not see a beard or the hooks.

This is an " honor system" contest. We can only hope people are telling the truth.
I do believe to make the contest better and fairer in the future, clear pics with tape measures should be required. Maybe even some way to prove the dates of the harvest, this is suppose to be a Spring Turkey season contest.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with both Superstrutter and Bornagain, pictures should be required. But...it's not in the rules. Maybe the rules need to be revamped. What is in this years rules is spring birds only but, as Bornagain was referring to, fall birds were allowed to be interred in this years contest. I don't remember that happening in the past.
If you look at the archives, pictures with tape measured Spurs and beards were required not too many years ago.
Why did that rule go away?
Just my opinions. Overall, it's been a pretty aggravating season with all the no shows on team 1...probably the other teams experienced this as well.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

Late season bird for Uncle Nicky, Team 2...17#, 3/4" spurs, 10.25" beard, measured at NJ check station. 52 NWTF score.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

I am in a paid contest for deer on another site. They make a logo with the year on it. We have to print it out and have a pic with the animal, placard with logo and year, and ourselves in the pic. Now that one is for prizes and bragging rights while this one is just for fun but its just an idea. Hate to see bickering over a free just for fun contest. Its not that big of a deal and is more about meeting like minded individuals and sharing in the hunt.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally feel the honor system works well, and in my experience (on different sites) is that many turkey hunters - especially newer ones - typically underscore their birds. Many newbies don't measure the longest strand on the beard or measure to the closest 1/16 of an inch on spurs. I'll gladly take a person for their word on the measurements, but you gotta at least post a pic of the bird.

You go to not requiring a pic - we start discussing the 325lb Sasquatch I bagged last year in my 5 acre swamp

Old 05-30-2017, 01:44 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default Team 2 Holler Back

Eastern
Upper PENINSULA of Michigan
4/24/17. 10:02 AM
18 LBS 12 OZ
RIGHT 3/4 IN
LEFT 3/4 IN
Bd 7 1/8 TH

Horny 2 yr old
Only 363 days till my next birthday.

Dave.......J

[

NWTF score 48
Old 05-30-2017, 01:54 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Man I've been really struggling. 11 days without a gobble. ...I've been hunting a huge area. Takes over an hr of driving time from one end to another. And my 30 yr hunting partner is experiencing the same. And in a different area.
But finally birds are acting semi normal.
3/4 & 7/8
9 3/4 Bd
Eastern
NWTF Score 58

I ticked his only hen off.
Warning to all hens. Don't talk to me I WILL GET THE LAST CLUCK.
EVERYTIME!

I have more tags and till May 31 st to hunt.

I also forgot my thermocell. In fact it's bad going to carry 2.
and I hate hot weather.
it plain sucks
JW

Last edited by JW; 05-31-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:10 PM
JW
Super Moderator

And last 2 weeks kicked my butt!
Saw this group last night in the rain.
We did battle early as again I was the aggressor.
2 yr old I think as I haven't crawled out of my blind yet. Correction a 3 yr old!
I'll melt it's pouring.
Less than 15 yards.

BD 9 3/4"
Sp Rt 1.0" Lft 1.1875
wt 20.8 oz
Eastern
NWTF 61.875

Last edited by JW; 05-31-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:59 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default Purely My Fault - Blame me!

Originally Posted by RPD63
I agree with both Superstrutter and Bornagain, pictures should be required. But...it's not in the rules. Maybe the rules need to be revamped. What is in this years rules is spring birds only but, as Bornagain was referring to, fall birds were allowed to be interred in this years contest. I don't remember that happening in the past.
If you look at the archives, pictures with tape measured Spurs and beards were required not too many years ago.
Why did that rule go away?
Just my opinions. Overall, it's been a pretty aggravating season with all the no shows on team 1...probably the other teams experienced this as well.
Required Pictures was stated in the past contest rules and how this clause got dropped I have no idea - want to blame somebody blame me. I missed that and should not have.

I want to thank SS and Arrowmaster for running this contest. While I was on the committee - I virtually was useless.
I have been part of this contest well over 10 yrs maybe more - I should have taken more interest but did not and so the negative comments clearly fall on my shoulders.
This contest had always been on an honor system. We the Contest Committee were offered various prizes over the years but declined those offers. Prizes of any value is not a way to hunt in our thinking.

Winning this contest was purely for bragging rights only. We set it up in several ways. One best bird per hunter on a team, Total birds per team member on a team as some of us hunt more than others can. And then best bird per sub-specie

Some portions was dropped as scoring is very time consuming.

I have yrs of contest data I have kept. I have met some very fine people because of this contest. A few I actually hunted with. One in particular I dearly miss and may get to hunt with him again in some heavenly place! Least I hope so.
And two whom I still stay in contact with I have never met face to face - Yet - or hunted with yet ....Maybe someday.

But I will be stepping away from this contest and ask if you want to make this contest better step up and share your ideas. Volunteer to help.

Dave.....JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.