Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2015 Turkey Contest
2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers >

2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers

2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers

Old 05-24-2015, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by swampbuster
Sorry to hear about your lackluster of a season BigC. I agree 100% it has been a extremly weird year.
Swampbuster, didn't you shoot a Kansas bird this year? What were his stats and lets here the story man.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

A nephew and I went out this morning and tried our luck.. We had birds all around us on the roost still. We thought we going to have a pretty good day of it. Once they hit the ground they shut right up on us.. So as we were waiting a guy comes threw the woods on an atv and really messed our hunting up for us..He says oh i did not know you guys were hunting here and had decided to take a different route from the atv trail.. That was discusting to have an idiot come threw the woods just riding and messing up our hunting.. We figure he may have heard us calling and decided to just ride out by us...

So we went and tried a couple of other spots but no luck at them either.. Good Luck to any one still hunting out there...
Old 05-27-2015, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bigc870
As of now what are the ranking of the teams?

I feel like the ugly duckling because not only did I not score this year or last year.

I did buy a new gun the other day just for turkey hunting, I got a Mossberg 835 pump fully camoed out, ported 24" barrel and will shot a 3 1/2 shell, if I decide to use 3 1/2" shell.

I know all guns are different but does anyone know or read up on what chokes seem to work better than others on the 835. The reason I ask is I don't know anyone with a 835 that turkey hunts so I can't share the cost of trying different choke tubs and loads. I will either start off with an Indian Creek or Carlsons choke with 3.5" hevi 13 #6 and 3.5" mag blend.

So if that tells me anything I am already preparing for next year so I ain't giving up yet or will I ever.
Congrats on the new gun. That is what I use only mine isn't ported. (Its one of the first years produced) I'm using a Primos Jellyhead with Federal 3.5 #6 in mine and it loves it. ( I used the 3rd degree 3.5's this year and they did great also) I put a limbsaver butt pad on it to help with the recoil. The only problems I have with mine is the rise of the muzzle when shot (yours being ported should help with this) and it hates any sand that gets in it. I just have to clean it good daily when I get back to camp..
Old 05-28-2015, 11:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well guys I was onto some birds this morning and blew it while trying to find a place to hide.. I had 3 birds gobbling but would not come in.. 2 birds to my front and 1 bird behind me. They were all a long ways off so I tried to sneak in on the one behind me.. I got to see him around 150 yards away on a small hill in the old muddy road i was walking.. But no place to hide and he saw me move.. I was then busted and he took a running.. I will be back in the morning after working all night.. Hopefully one will play better then..
Old 05-28-2015, 06:30 PM
Spike

Well early this morning I was putting rock salt at a bowhunting spot and I was headed out and stumbled and made some noise in the leaves and wouldn't you know it a turkey gobbled about 80yrds away and there was a small ditch about 20 feet wide in between us and I happen to have a mouth call and I got set down and that bird gobbled his head off and had another bird gobbling on down about 200 yrds. I called him in to about 30yrds and if it was turkey season and a different hunting spot he would have been a dead bird. He was a nice size bird with a beard that tucked underneath him when he was walling. He also strutted for me 3 times,

Season has been over for 2 weeks or so and I know there are a few birds out there but I will not hunt them because in the area I live in we don't have hardly any turkeys, it is legal to hunt them and if someone wants to it is there choice but my choice is to leave them alone so maybe we will get more turkeys around.

I think the breading season here in southern MO and the ozarks was several weeks late and this pretty much confirms it. Because I talked to several people that live around where I turkey hunt and they have gobbling good for a little over a week.

Just though I would share! It was nice to call one in but it was frustrating at the same time when I look back the turkey season I had this year.

Last edited by bigc870; 05-28-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Our turkey numbers is down as well bigc870.. But, it is not stopping me from hunting them.. Our count is down because of 2 harsh winters on them back to back.. The first was because of the amount of ice storms and this past winter was because the amount of fluffy snow that came back to back.. Taking a few toms out will not hurt them to bad.. As the toms are like an old buck deer traveling around looking for mates to breed with.. It just means less fighting and more hens to breed is how I see it.. Last fall we had a pile of turkeys every where and this spring I am guessing is only a quarter of what we had.. They will be building back up though.

Each year after turkey season we see the toms out.. Noe one bothering them will bring them out I am thinking.. Plus they get looking for more hens again.. That big tom this morning I know gobbled for 15 minutes after each call.. But, he would not come out at all. Maybe in the morning he will?? But, they have been acting strange to say the least..
Old 05-29-2015, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
Well guys I was onto some birds this morning and blew it while trying to find a place to hide.. I had 3 birds gobbling but would not come in.. 2 birds to my front and 1 bird behind me. They were all a long ways off so I tried to sneak in on the one behind me.. I got to see him around 150 yards away on a small hill in the old muddy road i was walking.. But no place to hide and he saw me move.. I was then busted and he took a running.. I will be back in the morning after working all night.. Hopefully one will play better then..
Keep after them Phil! You will get one. You still have about a week left? And if not, I'm sure you will have fun trying!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigc870
Well early this morning I was putting rock salt at a bowhunting spot and I was headed out and stumbled and made some noise in the leaves and wouldn't you know it a turkey gobbled about 80yrds away and there was a small ditch about 20 feet wide in between us and I happen to have a mouth call and I got set down and that bird gobbled his head off and had another bird gobbling on down about 200 yrds. I called him in to about 30yrds and if it was turkey season and a different hunting spot he would have been a dead bird. He was a nice size bird with a beard that tucked underneath him when he was walling. He also strutted for me 3 times,

Season has been over for 2 weeks or so and I know there are a few birds out there but I will not hunt them because in the area I live in we don't have hardly any turkeys, it is legal to hunt them and if someone wants to it is there choice but my choice is to leave them alone so maybe we will get more turkeys around.

I think the breading season here in southern MO and the ozarks was several weeks late and this pretty much confirms it. Because I talked to several people that live around where I turkey hunt and they have gobbling good for a little over a week.

Just though I would share! It was nice to call one in but it was frustrating at the same time when I look back the turkey season I had this year.

Great story man! I know for the last two years I have been watching this particular property and I always see a few birds there before season but never any during season. Almost like clockwork though for the last 2 years, as soon as season is over I see a tom strutting in the field almost everyday for a couple weeks on my way to work. Go figure. To me the kill isn't the best part of the hunt. You hunted and beat that tom, just too bad season is over.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I posted this on the main turkey forum. Thought I'd share.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turk...ng-2015-a.html
Old 05-29-2015, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jepcho
I posted this on the main turkey forum. Thought I'd share.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turk...ng-2015-a.html

Very nice job at it jepcho !! You have had an awesome season.. I wish a couple of more of us has as well so that we all could be on the same team again..

I will say this... You have all been a great group of guys to be on a team with!! I am also glad to have been your captain for the last to years.. i have enjoyed being on such a great team!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.