Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2015 Turkey Contest
2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers >

2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers

Community

2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers

Old 05-29-2015, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I went out and tried my luck this morning and had my truck sink down in the mud on me.. Yeah, i got stuck.. The front tire dropped down and while trying to get it out it slid to one side and dropped.. So i left it there and went and tried my luck for 3 hours.. Nothing not even a gobble.. As I was heading back out i called my wife to bring the jeep out and a couple of slings to bail me out.. She laughed and after around 10 nihutes the truck was back up again. That big 1 ton drops when it goes down.. lol All is well now..

I went back in there this evening and tried to call them in.. I never heard a gobble but did here a hen nearby.. So I am hopeful that they will be roosting close by for the morning.. I should be able to get 3 maybe 4 hours in the morning .. Then I am heading out across a 83 mile field ( the pipeline) with the wife to check on a hunting camp I am debating on buying.. The owner is planning on meeting me at noon.. Maybe I can see a bird or 2 going up there ? Who knows..
Old 05-30-2015, 04:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well guys I went out this morning nice and early.. I had them gobbling from different areas.. I am guessing around 4 birds but, really have no way of knowing how many for sure.. They gobbled for around 2 1/2 hours with me calling once every 20 minutes.. They just would not come in for me.. I have Thursday, Friday, and Saturday to try and get it done in.. I will try to sneak half way in on them Friday if they do not come out and play.. I may try to Thursday as I am getting frustrated with them not showing up ..

After I left there I went to rinse my truck off to get rid of all the mud from yesterday. On my way home a hen comes running out and starts flying.. I locked the brakes up hoping to avoid her. Crash right into the molding going around my grill and busted some of it.. She when sliding out into the other lane.. I stopped the truck with feathers still flying and tossed her out of the road.. Then once I got home I called our game warden who told me to go back and get her if I wanted it.. So now I have another turkey completely unplanned on.. I tried to avoid it but there was nothing I could do about it.. I feel bad about it because in my mind she has a nest nearby and would rather have her hatch her eggs.. But, at least she will not go to waste any ways..

I also doubt it would count even though it is a legal bird.. Weapon was a pick-up truck at 8 lbs..

The hunting camp I went to look at I will be buying it!! It is on a 1 acre lot in what is to me a great location! My wife went with me and feels the same way I do. So I am planning on owning it in around 2 weeks time!! I was hoping to see some wildlife on the way up there.. We did see a big doe and that was it.. No turkeys not even a hen out there.. Now my wife knows that the turkeys are hard to come by this year..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 05-31-2015 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your new hunting camp! If you need somebody to come up there at hunt on it with you, you know where to find me.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks jepcho! It is right a cross from some apple trees so there is deer around.. As well it is a great location for Zone 18 moose hunting and with quite a few bears around the area.. I am quite pleased with the location and have seen quite a few turkeys in that area over the past few years.. So hopefully next year the turkeys will have rebound and a whole lot of action.. Also this area has a quite a few grouse hanging around the old apple trees.. There is quite a few brooks that hold wild brook trout within a short driving distance so i know i am going to love it there..
Old 05-31-2015, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's awesome! I'm sure you're going to love it. Hopefully you can finish this spring strong and tag yourself another bird. If not, at least you are still out hunting. I've been done for 2 weeks already
Old 05-31-2015, 02:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, I am quite sure I am going to love that camp. To me it is almost like a dream to be able to be out there and not have to leave an hour and a half early to get in that area before daylight.. Here is 2 outside pics of the camp I am going to buy.. It is not real big, but, it is a place I want.. I figure I can add on to it sometime in the future..

Yes, I will still be after those gobblers every chance I can get.. I most likely will try and move in on them Friday and Saturday the last 2 days of the season if they do not come out of there on their own.. While i like to hear them gobble I would still like to get a shot at one of them..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 05-31-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Well team my 2015 season has come to a end. But not without a bang. Filled my last tag in neb this morning while hunting with a friends son which also filled a tag two hours later. The morning started out with a gobbler and five jakes with two hens that did not want anything to do with decoys or calling. So off to our second spot of the morning of which I had not hunted before so we are kinda exploring things as we go. Checking fields as we go. We peeked out into the second field to find a strutter and 4 hens on the hill above us. We setup real quick and I sent some yelps his way and here he came on a string. As my young hunter had not filled a tag yet this year I told him to take the shot, so at 20yards and my gun leaning against a bush he shoots and misses. I quickly grab the my gun and and shoot him running away.
2 Hours later we setup on 2 gobblers and after chatting back and forth with three hens one of the gobblers give my young hunter a shot at 25 yards. His gobbler was 19 lbs, 11 1/2" beard and a set of 7/8" spurs.

My bird=
Eastern, neb, shotgun, 9:40am 5-31-15
24 lbs
10 1/2" beard
left spur 1 3/16"
no right spur

It has been fun hunting with you guys again this year.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

Phil, did you get the pics I sent you this afternoon?
Old 06-01-2015, 02:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by camokenny
Phil, did you get the pics I sent you this afternoon?
I just received them this morning as I was coming into work.. I messed up and do not have the one with your scales.. But, that should not be to big of an issue.. I will try and get your pics up this evening after work..

By the way any pointers on getting those birds to come out? They are in a cutting and 2 different days I have had them gobbling for over 2 hours. I only called once ever 20 minutes and they will not show themselves. I am guessing at least 3 or 4 toms from the sound of things. I am debating about trying to sneak in around half way to see if that will help me.. The problem is so much slash every where makes it quite hard to be unheard when walking in there.. Those birds must know it because they are holding back there.. I will be out again for the last 3 days of our season..
Old 06-01-2015, 03:27 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Phil. I will resend the scale pic. Don't want to do things against the rules.

As for your turkey's go, if they are gobbling for two hours on the ground I would be calling a lot more and close the distance to them. The bird that the young man shot yesterday I called almost non stop to him and the hens for thirty minutes before he stepped out and gave him the shot.
I know we are in different parts of the country but I am not afraid to change what im doing to get one to come if the norm is not working. Try a different call or moving on them or even calling more or less is all that is needed to make a difference.
Good luck Phil and thanks for all you have done for me and this team over the last two years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.