Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2015 Turkey Contest
2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers >

2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers

Community

2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers

Old 04-17-2015, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by swampbuster
Who all starts their season in the morning?
I start hunting Sunday morning! Cant wait!!
Old 04-17-2015, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I told you all I had been hunting with my dad trying to get him a bird during 1st season here in Iowa, and opening day didn't work out too good for us. Well neither did days 2 and 3. However, on the 4th and final day of the season things came together. Got setup on one in the morning on the roost. He was roosted about 60 or 70 yards from us. We kinda got lucky and didn't realize how close the hens were to us. They pitched down into the field in front of us and began calling, meanwhile he flew down in the woods behind us. We were literally in the middle of a flock! I just let the hens call the tom in, it worked out great! He smoked him when the bird got into the field and presented a shot. What a fun morning it was!
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers-imag1187.jpg  
Old 04-17-2015, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Btw, congrats Kenny for getting a really nice bird and getting us on the board! I am super excited to finally get to carry a gun for myself starting Sunday in Nebraska!
Old 04-17-2015, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Talondale
Well I've been playing ring-around-the-mountain with the gobblers but no score yet. We setup Sunday and had two gobblers around 200 yards away. Neither would come to us and we heard some coyotes and everything shut down. Left that night for our family farm. For two days we almost heard no gobbles and I had one hunter setup next to me in the dark one morning. Everyone we talked to says they haven't heard gobbles in the past two years. Most think its coyotes but I haven't heard any. We headed back to the mountains where we were at least hearing toms. Had to go back to work Wednesday but my two friends from out of town tried to get on the birds from the weekend. They had two toms come in on them but missed the opportunity trying to get a double. They had a couple other encounters with these toms but no connection. Using the info they gave me I went out before work yesterday and I didn't hear a gobbler close by. I did hear two back on the other side of the road. Moving to the other side of the road I wasn't able to get anything to answer back. Hope to get on one tomorrow.
Good luck Talondale! Hope you are able to close the deal on a turkey
Old 04-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jepcho
Well, I told you all I had been hunting with my dad trying to get him a bird during 1st season here in Iowa, and opening day didn't work out too good for us. Well neither did days 2 and 3. However, on the 4th and final day of the season things came together. Got setup on one in the morning on the roost. He was roosted about 60 or 70 yards from us. We kinda got lucky and didn't realize how close the hens were to us. They pitched down into the field in front of us and began calling, meanwhile he flew down in the woods behind us. We were literally in the middle of a flock! I just let the hens call the tom in, it worked out great! He smoked him when the bird got into the field and presented a shot. What a fun morning it was!
Congrats to your dad Jepcho!
Old 04-17-2015, 06:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is hard to get a bird that has been smartened up by all the calling going on.. I got my second bird in just one of those areas the last 2 years. I limit my calling and mostly wait them out.. I also try to scratch a few leaves once and a while by doing like a turkey does.. Scratch one time followed by 2 quick scratches and then wait.. I also will resort to using just one hen..
Good Luck Talondale
Old 04-17-2015, 06:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats to you dad jepcho! That looks like a pretty big bird he has got himself..

Good Luck to you on your hunt as well..
Old 04-17-2015, 06:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I did some scouting this morning and saw 3 small flocks that had a tom or 2 strutting. Then in a field that has no trespassing signs I saw a jake with 2 hens.. I can hunt there and own some land right beside it.. Normally there is more birds in that area so as the snow melts I will be finding out.. I still have to wait until May 4th to start my hunting.. So plenty of time for our snow to go away..

Good luck to everyone out hunting right now!!
Old 04-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jepcho
Btw, congrats Kenny for getting a really nice bird and getting us on the board! I am super excited to finally get to carry a gun for myself starting Sunday in Nebraska!
Thanks guys.
I will be going to Neb. for a one day hunt on sat. Just going down to hunt with the young man that I got hooked on this great outdoor activity we call turkey hunting. Yes I will be armed just in case we can double again this year. It is suppose to be raining so we will see.

It opens on the 18th in neb jepco why wait till sunday, maybe you have to work sat just like I have to on sunday. lol
Old 04-17-2015, 08:26 PM
Spike

First of all congrats to Kenny!!!

My season comes in Monday!!!! I can't stand the wait.

We are suppose to have Thunderstorms from late Saturday into early Monday morning, but at first light it is suppose to be pretty clear and sunny. I was going to go up Sunday afternoon but if the weather does what the weatherman says it won't do any good.

I know the area pretty good so it doesn't concern my to much to go in cold.

Good luck to everyone, I will post an update Monday afternoon, we can only hunt until 1PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.