HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shiloh Sharps.
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Lever

Default RE: Shiloh Sharps.

I think too many folks that really don't know about black powder and listen to all the guys that talk about how corrosive it is really dampens the spirts with folks actually using black powder.

I can shoot all day at the range and after wards I run about 10 patches of soapy water down my barrel followed by a patch of oil and I am done. Soap and water cleans black powder so quickly and easily. I do the same with my Muzzle loaders. But I do pour hot soapy water down the barrel because you can not deeply clean the breach plug area with a jag or patch. But as long as you neutralize the ash of the Black powder, it will not corode your barrel.

You do have to spend a little time cleaning your brass cases with a brush and your brass will get tarnished. Not reall hard to clean, but if you are shooting B/P all the time, it is kind of a waist of time to keep cleaning the brass of your pistol or cases. I think it adds character to the over all look of the piece and the brass so I have no problem with it.