HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 54 caliber powerbelts???
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2006, 06:08 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 54 caliber powerbelts???

MR.D

I do shoot sabots from all three of my 54's, one Lyman Trade Rifle and two Renegades, they shoot them as weel as I can shoot them.

My hunting partner shoots a 54 Hawken, but I have never been able to talk him out of his powerbelts... they are really convienient for him and he has been successful with them.

The TC 54's usually have a fairly tight bore so you will need to find a thin sabot for them. Companies are not making a selection of sizes like they do for the 50's so you just have to try some and see what works best. At one time I would have told you the Orange TC Mag Express and the Tradition 45/54 sabots would work well - but recently they switched manufacturers and they are now slightly thicker. Harvester regular sabots shoul work. I myself use Nosler sabots but I bought a slug of em years ago. They are a washed out red color, the new ones that I am seeing are a really ugly some form of green color but they really look like the right ones... I usually purchase Nosler sabots here:

http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product/nosler/nosldes/NoslerSabots.htm

This is what the new ones look like and I really do think they are the correct thickness - in fact I am going to order a couple of packs right now...

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0011550097

I shoot T7-3f powder - 90 grains with a Dynimt Noble 1075+ #11 cap - .455 300 grain Hornadys XTP's but I am switching to 300 grain Speer Gold Dots (higher BC and better expansion) I have been really pleasedwithresults. I would have no problem hunting elk with this load. With the 1/48 twist in my 54's I have not had the best luck with lighter bullets...

Here is a target I have posted on photobucket..

Hope some of this helps - some back if I can help with anything..